3c905 full duplex with netboot prom?

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 16 14:00:41 1999

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:

> I'm running a couple of diskless ws with the 3c905(!b)
> card and a netboot bootprom at a 24 port 10/100 intel
> 510T switch. Because the packetdriver forces the card
> to half duplex (according to it's messages), I had
> to switch off NWAY auto negotation on the cards to
> prevent netboot failures (50% chance).

> Is there a way
> to reestablish full duplex mode again? (Or does anybody
> know of a FD enabled packet driver for this card?)

ERrrrmm, trying using 'mii-diag -A 0x01e1'

> P.S.: Is it possible to reprogram an atmel AT29C512 eeprom
> with the vortex-diag program?

Shhhhhh... don't tell anyone, but if you get 'libflash.c'
  ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/diag/libflash.c
and compile vortex-diag with
  '... -DLIBFLASH libflash.c'
the following options are available:

  -B
  -L <filename>
  -S <filename>

-B		shows the contents of the flash
-L LOADFILE	loads (writes) the flash with the contents of FILENAME
-S SAVEFILE	saves the flash into FILENAME

Send a report if you use this.
It works for me, but I haven't had others test it, so consider it "not
released".  Remember that it's doing something that cannot be reset with a
power cycle (though it's less dangerous than writing the EEPROM).

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html