3c905 and Mandrake install problems

Hill, Matthew Matthew.Hill@cdcgy.com
Mon Dec 20 12:49:03 1999

Hi,
I recently installed Mandrake 6.1 as another bootable OS on my Celeron based
system. I also have NT 4 and Win98 operating on the same system using the
installed 3c905 board.
I am unable to get the 3c905 to access the network under Mandrake. I have
rebuilt the kernel and tried both the original 3c59x driver as well as the
3com 3c90x driver both loading as modules.
The system seems to prefer the 3c59x driver as it initializes the board fine
and ifconfig reports eth0 as okay (using IRQ 9 ).
I currently have the option debug=1 set. When I attempt to ping a local
linux box there is no response and a message "transmit timed out tx_status
00 status e000" is reported.
Any help or suggestions are welcome. I'm currently considering juggling IRQs
used by the PCI bus as IRQ 9 is also used by another device (there were no
sharing complaints so I assumed they both would behave).
thanks,
Matt

matthill@home.com <mailto:matthill@home.com>