The 3C905B-TX

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Apr 13 10:47:05 1999

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Randy Drago wrote:

> I had similar trouble with 3C905B-TX.  I even tried setting the IO address
> and interrupt in /etc/modules.conf

That will prevent the driver from loading -- the io=.. and irq=.. parameters
are only valid for ISA drivers.  The PCI drivers can reliably detect the
card and read the IRQ line from a PCI configuration register provided for
this purpose.

>   Upon initial boot of redhat (also happens
> w/ slackware) I see tons and tons of interrupts, then a message saying "too
> much work - interrupt disabled" and the led on my hub never lights.......

This can be various problems, although most of them won't be fixed by
switching card types.

> I wound up getting NetGear FA-310 10/100 cards (they use the tulip driver
> and cost around $30).  These worked with no problem at all.

> > >I am trying to get my 3C905B-TX into 100BaseT mode and am having little
> > >success.
> >
> > My problem is even worse, I fear :).  I can't even get my 3C905B to work at
> > 10 mb/s  :).  Will the vortex kernel modules work with it?  If not, can
> > anyone suggest drivers that WILL work?

You must use v0.99H or later with most 3c905B cards.  The v0.99E driver will
not work.
Read the detection message.  An override to "100baseTx" will not work.

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html