more 3C900-combo data points

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Apr 9 15:18:47 1999

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Paul Tod Rieger wrote:

> Subject: more 3C900-combo data points
>
> I'm still setting up a Linux (2.0.36; Debian main/stable/slink 2.1)
> server with 2 NICs: eth0 to a cable modem, and eth1 to my LAN
> (NeXTstation and print server).
>
> I've been having trouble with a 3C900-combo NIC as eth1.  I can ping the
> card but not the LAN:
>
> 125 www% ping 192.168.4.1

This doesn't actually test anything -- it's implicitly looped back.

> PING jetdirect (192.168.4.2): 56 data bytes
> ping: sendto: Operation not permitted
> ping: wrote jetdirect 64 chars, ret=-1
> 127 www% ping hygeia
> PING hygeia (192.168.4.3): 56 data bytes
> ping: sendto: Operation not permitted
> ping: wrote hygeia 64 chars, ret=-1

This isn't a device error -- you simply don't have a route to the interface.

> Any suggestions on what else to try?  (A different kernel?  Driver
> update?)

Normally the 3c900 advice is to force the media type selection, since
detecting the media types without link beat (10base2 or AUI) isn't reliable.
But I suspect that this is a simple routing problem.

You shouldn't need to update your driver unless you have a 3c900B
(Cyclone-based).

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html