3c905b-TX does not do 100mbps

Dan Bethe dtm@hosting.netcom.com
Thu Oct 1 04:54:28 1998

root@helium.persius.net wrote:

> I got 2 boxes with 2 3c905b-TX cards in em.  they are both pluged into a
> 3com super stack switch 3300 (10/100 autosence)
> they start up with 100mbps, the switch and card both negotiate at 100mbps,
> but when the linux driver loads, it reverts back to 10mbps... :(  I have
> not compiled the driver as a module.  I have heard of this type of problem
> with this driver and card, but have yet to formulate a solution.. :(  If
> anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be much appericeated!

	Hi.  Same deal here.  We pass "4,4" on to our drivers.  For a modular
kernel (you should make it modular, really!) here is our
/etc/rc.d/rc.modules:

kernelversion=`uname -r`
insmod /lib/modules/$kernelversion/net/3c59x.o options="4,4"

	At this point, the light on our cards shows 100Mbit.
	For a monolithic kernel, I'm not sure how to do it offhand but add it
to your LILO configuration.  Read the Ethernet-HOWTO at
http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX.html .
	And I advise not using 'root' as a login account  :)

--
"We each pay a fabulous price for our visions of paradise.
But a spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission."