[tulip] Building on RH7.3 from netdrivers-3.3

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu Jan 2 10:22:01 2003

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Robert W March wrote:

> I purchased a Netgear FA511 CardBus adapter for my Thinkpad 600E
> running RH7.3 with the 2.4.19 kernel.  The supplied driver failed to
> compile on this  system.
>
> So I grabbed netdrivers-3.3.tgz and unpacked it.  In the Makefile I set:
> PCMCIA?=/usr/src/linux/include/pcmcia

You should not need to change this with a 2.4 kernel that is using the
in-kernel support.  This is needed if you are using David Hinds original
PCMCIA package (a few 2.4 configuration, and all 2.2 and earlier systems).

> /lib/modules/2.4.18-19.7.x/build/include/asm/spinlock.h:9: nondigits in number
> and not hexadecimal

Red Hat modifies the kernel source, and the modifications are different
for the different releases.  What does your copy of spinlock.h have on
this line?

> Alternatively, Mr. Becker's online docs mention that pre-compiled
> drivers are available but, I could not find where they might be.  Can
> someone point them out?

They way "might be available".
Red Hat has many different kernels for the same distribution number, so
this has become too difficult.  We now supply precompiled drivers for
the Scyld distribution only.