[tulip] the question about hotplug in tulip driver(not buildtin kernel 2.4)

Ming Chuan Huang huangmc@csie.nctu.edu.tw
Wed Feb 12 08:03:00 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donald Becker" <becker@scyld.com>
To: "Ming Chuan Huang" <huangmc@csie.nctu.edu.tw>
Cc: <tulip@scyld.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 8:28 PM
Subject: Re: [tulip] the question about hotplug in tulip driver(not buildtin
kernel 2.4)

> On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Ming Chuan Huang wrote:
> > > On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Ming Chuan Huang wrote:
> > > Is there a message from the driver?
> > > Is the usage count '0' in /proc/modules?
> > >

> >     No, the count of tulip is 1. This is strange. The driver does not
show
> > anything, and the card service shows
> > the following message cs: cb_free(bus 2)
> > Now, I test the driver.
> >
> > 1.insmod pci-scan.o
> > 2.insmod tulip.o
> > 3.remove the cardbus.
>
> Note that this is a different case: the driver treats an
> already-existing device as a regular PCI card.
>
> > The same situlation happens. I type the command "ifconfig -a" eth0
exists
> > when I remove the card.
>
> Ahhh, this is the real problem.
>
> You have some program that is holding the interface open.
>
> I consider this a deep flaw in the 2.4 networking code, but the people
> that added the flaw consider it a feature.  Call it either a flaw or a
> feature, to the user it appears as a bug.
>
> Kill the program that is holding the interface open -- usually a DHCP
> client -- and your problem will do away.

Now, I use forced IP but the situation is the same.
I do not understand all thay you point. Can I ask another question? What
should I do when I use cardbus???(without option cardbus)
If I want kernel treats my card as HOTPLUG device, what should I do ?
Trouble you again.

< ¨C¤Ñ³£ Yahoo!©_¼¯ >  www.yahoo.com.tw