[tulip] the question about hotplug in tulip driver(not buildtin kernel 2.4)

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed Feb 12 07:35:57 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Ming Chuan Huang wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Ming Chuan Huang wrote:
> > Is there a message from the driver?
> > Is the usage count '0' in /proc/modules?
> >

>     No, the count of tulip is 1. This is strange. The driver does not show
> anything, and the card service shows
> the following message cs: cb_free(bus 2)
> Now, I test the driver.
>
> 1.insmod pci-scan.o
> 2.insmod tulip.o
> 3.remove the cardbus.

Note that this is a different case: the driver treats an
already-existing device as a regular PCI card.

> The same situlation happens. I type the command "ifconfig -a" eth0 exists
> when I remove the card.

Ahhh, this is the real problem.

You have some program that is holding the interface open.

I consider this a deep flaw in the 2.4 networking code, but the people
that added the flaw consider it a feature.  Call it either a flaw or a
feature, to the user it appears as a bug.

Kill the program that is holding the interface open -- usually a DHCP
client -- and your problem will do away.