[tulip] Parity error on 2nd Tulip card

Abe Ward Kabakoff abek@andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Feb 8 02:15:00 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Donald Becker wrote:

> That's a modified driver.  Hopefully someone else can help you with the
> problem.

I've, uh, "fixed" that problem, and installed drivers from the scyld.com
page... here are some of the the error messages I get now:

Feb  8 02:20:38 linux kernel: eth1: PCI Fatal Bus Error, fc67e014.
Feb  8 02:20:38 linux kernel: eth1: PCI Fatal Bus Error, fc66e010.
Feb  8 02:20:39 linux kernel: eth1: PCI Fatal Bus Error, fc67e050.

Note these show up a few hundred times a second it seems like. I get these
on both eth0 and eth1.

tulip-diag gives:

tulip-diag.c:v2.16 12/17/2002 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a ADMtek AL985 Centaur-P adapter at 0xf800.
 * A recognized chip has been found, but it does not appear to exist in
 * I/O space.  Use the '-f' flag to see the register values anyway.
Index #2: Found a ADMtek AL985 Centaur-P adapter at 0xf400.
 * A recognized chip has been found, but it does not appear to exist in
 * I/O space.  Use the '-f' flag to see the register values anyway.
 Use '-a' or '-aa' to show device registers,
     '-e' to show EEPROM contents, -ee for parsed contents,
  or '-m' or '-mm' to show MII management registers.

Thus:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
./tulip-diag -f
tulip-diag.c:v2.16 12/17/2002 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a ADMtek AL985 Centaur-P adapter at 0xf800.
 Comet duplex is reported in the MII status registers.
 Transmit started, Receive started.
  The Rx process state is 'Transferring Rx frame into memory'.
  The Tx process state is 'Closing Tx descriptor'.
  PCI bus error!: Unknown 7.
  The transmit unit is set to store-and-forward.
 Interrupt sources are pending!  CSR5 is ffffffff.
   Tx done indication.
   Tx complete indication.
   Tx out of buffers indication.
   Transmit Jabber indication.
   Link passed indication.
   Tx FIFO Underflow indication.
   Rx Done indication.
   Receiver out of buffers indication.
   Receiver stopped indication.
   Receiver jabber indication.
   Link changed indication.
   Timer expired indication.
   Link failed indication.
   PCI bus error indication.
   Early Rx indication.
  Comet MAC address registers ffffffff ffffffff
  Comet multicast filter ffffffffffffffff.
WARNING: The EEPROM is missing or erased!
[...]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

finally, for some reason the load message doesn't seem to have changed....
if I am finding the right entries among the loads of error messages.
But, "modinfo tulip" gives:

modinfo tulip
filename:    /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/tulip.o
author:      "Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>"

before this had some other email address, so it seems to be the right
driver, maybe I installed it incorrectly?  I had some trouble installing
it, but did eventually get it to work.

As before, the chip is throwing out errors left and right, but my
functionality doesn't seem to have taken a hit.