[tulip] Question about RX-Drop errors and an appearant chipset lockup on the Phobos p430tx NIC.

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sun Oct 20 16:31:00 2002

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Ben Greear wrote:
> Becker's driver dies almost immediately with these console errors:

Which driver version are you using?  (0.95 or later is fine.)
What is the detection message?

> eth[1-4]:  Too much work during an interrupt, csr5=0xf06d80c0

The receiver is out of buffers, which usually means that the kernel has
run out of skbuffs.  The kernel then spends a whole bunch of time and
cache misses trying to deal with no skbuffs, resulting in no CPU cycles
to keep up with the interrupt work.

This should not halt operation, although it will cause packet drops.

> eth1: Restarted Rx at 2874 / 2874
> eth3: Restarted Rx at 296 / 296

This is the restart message after we have some memory for the receiver.