[tulip] Mandrake 9.0

libogen . libogen@hotmail.com
Thu Oct 10 02:39:01 2002

Just installed Mandrake's latest dist, ver. 9.0, and with fingers crossed (I
lied but perhaps I should've!) I entered the network configuration stage
and...yet again, another dist whose included tulip driver didn't work for me
:-(

For Mandrake's previous 2 or 3 dists, I had to download Donald's tulip
driver sources and compile them in order to get my Compaq Presario 17XL361
notebook's Conexant NIC to work. I had hoped that the latest dist's included
tulip driver would work.

I've been on this list for a while and have seen RedHat & Mandrake users
lament the problems with tulip drivers included in those company's various
dists.

I understand that there are various NICs that rely on the tulip driver in
order to work in Linux. I think I recognized some model numbers on this list
which belong to Linksys, which is a fairly popular brand for 'non-brand'
PCs.

Do some tulip reliant NICs work with the tulip drivers compiled into RedHat
& Mandrake dists or are all tulip users having to compile the tulip driver
themselves?

Is there some technical reason why I won't see a 'working' default tulip
driver for my NIC in a dist?

If it's just a matter of lack of testing/knowledge on this driver by the
Linux dist companies then we should help and/or petition them to finally fix
the problem.

Just in case I haven't been clear. I'm not criticising the tulip driver. I'm
very grateful to Donald for developing it. Without it, I wouldn't be able to
network my notebook under Linux (Compaq provide zero Linux support for it).
I'm just a bit frustrated that dists include the tulip driver but have
compiled it in a way that doesn't work with my NIC. It's quite funny
(strange) because when I compile the driver myself, I use the parameters
recommended by Donald and they work every time!

Cheers,
Scrumpy