[tulip] Recompiled kernel & Tulip problems

Jesse F. Hughes jesseh@cs.kun.nl
Wed Oct 2 03:36:01 2002

Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com> writes:

> On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Jesse F. Hughes wrote:
>
>> After recompiling my kernel to add USB support,
>
> That immediately hints at an IRQ mapping problem.

Well, maybe not.  I was a bit glib in my description.  I added
hotplugging support to the USB modules.  Both the old and the new
kernel load the USB modules (now, not formerly), but only the new
kernel has hotplugging support compiled in the kernel.

/proc/interrupts shows that my USB uses interrupt 11, while my PCMCIA
slot, the network card and my sound card all use interrupt 9 -- but
this has surprisingly never caused any problems previously.

I should note that my ALSA drivers for the sound card aren't loading
with the new kernel either.  They complain that "waitqueue_lock" isn't
defined, but whether this is really related to my network card
problems or not is not clear at all.

>> I've recompiled the modules, but still, I get errors when I plug the
>> card in.  The errors in the messages log are pretty generic --
>> init_module: Device or resource busy, bind 'tulip' to socket 0 failed:
>> Operation not permitted.
>
> What is the exact messages, including those from the PCMCIA subsystem?

I will get those to you as soon as I can.  I'll paste in the stuff
from /var/log/messages, but the messages don't say too much.  Is there
some other source for debug messages that I'm overlooking?

Thanks much.  It will be a little while before I get back to this
problem, since I'm traveling today.
--
Jesse Hughes
"Well, you know as soon as you have a new number I will be happy to