[tulip] EtherExpress Mobile fails to negotiate 100Mbps

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Nov 22 18:05:01 2002

On 22 Nov 2002, Adrian deLisser wrote:

> I have an EtherExpress PRO/100 Mobile Adapter 32-bit CardBus card that
> I'm using with RH 8.0. The card and tulip driver (tulip.c:v0.95
> 6/21/2002) work when connected to a 10Mbps HDX network, but not at
> 100Mbps FDX (one network is a 10Mbps hub, the other a 100Mbps switch).

How old is this card?
Did you update the media table using the tulip-diag program, or does it
have the original configuration EEPROM contents?

> The driver in RH 8.0 did not work at all, so I downloaded and compiled
> pci-scan, tulip and tulip-diag from scyld. Below I've included the
> output from 'tulip-diag -eee' after installing the tulip module, and
> after initializing the network.
>
> With the card connected to a 10/100 autosensing port, I invoke 'modprobe
> tulip', then tulip-diag reports:

What is the message from the kernel when the card is inserted?

.. [[ initial state ]]
>   The NWay status register is 45e192c7.

Good: the link partner is advertising 45e1:
  It is a 10/100-HD/FD switch with flow control.

> tulip-diag.c:v2.13b 9/14/2002 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
>  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
> Index #1: Found a Digital DS21143 Tulip adapter at 0x4800.
>  Port selection is 100mbps-SYM/PCS 100baseTx scrambler, full-duplex.

Good port selection.

>  Transmit stopped, Receive stopped.
>   The Rx process state is 'Stopped'.
>   The Tx process state is 'Stopped'.

You haven't started the interface.

>   The transmit threshold is 128.
>   The NWay status register is 000020c7.

Because of the way the 21143 works, we have lost the link partner
ability word.  But we have a report of good link beat.

As best I can tell, the card is working properly.  The interface just
hasn't been start -- assign an IP address and see what happens.