[tulip] Problem with Linksys EtherFast 10/100 Cardbus PC Card

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Mar 29 13:58:01 2002

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Garion wrote:

> It seems that I can only get 10Mbit.. I have verified the cable as perfect,
> and that the port on my switch (Matrox Shark) is fine.

> At first I thought it might be the laptop, as its fairly old (P166, 48
> Megs)..  But then I started looking into the possiblity that it could
> be the driver..  So I upgraded to tulip 0.93.. Same issue.. Then I
> started running the various diag programs..

What is the detection message?

> The card is a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 Cardbus PC Card, PCMPC200..  cardctl
> reports it as:
>   product info: "Linksys", "EtherFast 10/100 CardBus PC Card(PCMPC200)",
> "V1.0", ""
>   manfid: 0x0149, 0x0231
>   function: 6 (network)
>   PCI id: 0x1011, 0x0019
..
> tulip-diag:
> tulip-diag.c:v2.10 3/08/2002 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
>  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
> Index #1: Found a Digital DS21143 Tulip adapter at 0x100.
>  Port selection is MII, full-duplex.

This is correct.

> mii-diag: (this is the suspicious one):
> Basic registers of MII PHY #0:  0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000.

What is the detection message when the driver loads, include the driver
version number?

> This card did sit around for several months without use, and the battery in
> the laptop had died, could the mii rom (or whatever) have died? Is there a
> way to fix this?

No.  The configuration information is in a EEPROM, which doesn't depend
on a battery.