[tulip] tulip for presario 1700 with connexant chip breaks under load

Jochen Schieck schieck@mppmu.mpg.de
Fri Mar 22 09:43:01 2002

> > $ ./mii-diag
> > Using the default interface 'eth0'.
> > Basic registers of MII PHY #1:  1000 782d 0022 1720 01e1 0080 0004 2001.
> >  Your link partner is generating 100baseTx link beat  (no autonegotiation).
> >
> > Our network here supports Full-Duplex. However, I do not know about the
> > NIC chip in my notebook. Do you know more?
>
> Ah ha!  That might be the problem: is the switch you are connected to
> set to forced full duplex?  If so, you will have force the driver to
> full duplex mode.
>
> If that fixes the symptoms, we might have a problem with handling
> out-of-window collisions.  They should be handled automatically by the
> hardware, but the driver might need to do something special to handle
> this type of network error.

Hi Donald,

I tried to change the tulip driver to use full duplex. I looked at a
computer with the same network with mii-diag and I got:

The autonegotiated media type is 100baseTx-FD

For this reason I used:

$ rmmod tulip;  insmod tulip options=5

the diagnostic tool returns:

$ ./mii-diag
Using the default interface 'eth0'.
Basic registers of MII PHY #1:  2100 780d 0022 1720 01e0 0000 0004 2001.
Basic mode control register 0x2100: Auto-negotiation disabled, with
Speed fixed at 100 mbps, full-duplex.
You have link beat, and everything is working OK.
Link partner information is not exchanged when in fixed speed mode.
End of basic transceiver information.

and

$./tulip-diag

tulip-diag.c:v2.10 3/08/2002 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a Conexant LANfinity adapter at 0x1400.
 Port selection is 10mpbs-serial, full-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, full-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.

The /var/log/syslog returns:

Mar 22 15:59:49 kernel: eth0: Conexant LANfinity rev 8 at
0xcc847000, 00:50:8B:AA:B4:6A, IRQ 9.
Mar 22 15:59:49 kernel: eth0: Transceiver selection forced to 100baseTx-FDX.

And the network is NOT running (ping returns:Destination Host Unreachable)

I am not able to force my notebook to use full duplex mode. If I download
a file, the speed is 10% of that other computer using full duplex.

Can the chip in my notenook only work with half-duplex? Any idea? Or do I
something wrong in using the tulip driver?

Thanks

Jochen