[tulip] urgent attention

Michael Chaney mdchaney@michaelchaney.com
Tue Jun 11 14:12:02 2002

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 06:16:05PM -0400, Donald Becker wrote:
> The message didn't come from Nigeria.  The scam can be based anywhere:
> they have you establish a bank account with, say $10K.  Once they have
> your bank account number, they can drain it from any third-world country.

Actually, the scam is often far worse.  There have been reports of
people being lured to Nigeria and then kidnapped for ransom.  The
Nigerian government has a page dedicated to this scam with more
information.

> The immediate problem is the scam email.  This message header had no
> features that I could filter on: it was directly addressed, with a
> generic subject line.

Check into SpamAssassin.  I have it install, and it caught the spam:

        INVALID_DATE_NO_TZ, US_DOLLARS_3, DATE_IN_FUTURE)

Easy enough to have your list software subsequently ignore those.

Only allowing posting from subscribers is another tactic which would
work.

Michael
--
Michael Darrin Chaney