[tulip] On Red hat 7.3 and compaq integrated 21143 chip.

Raju nraju@mindspring.com
Thu Jul 11 08:47:02 2002

Hi Donald,

> > Jul  9 19:56:39 Guru kernel: Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.15-pre10
(Mar 8,
> > 2002)
>
> Did you try
>    http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
>       ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/tulip.c

No. The driver was the one which came with Red Hat 7.3. Now I am
in the process of trying out the latest; However following the driver update
instructions,
I am getting compile errors on system header files. .
I have kernel 2.4.-18 sources (the one which is in RH 7.3) in
/usr/src/linux.
One basic question; Should I build kernel before compiling tulip.c
or just untarring it in /usr/src sufficient? Because I do not find
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h file. Also the compilation error
is to he fact
that I am including kernel files in user space. (#error). I saw there are
problems in RH 7.0; Does the same problem have in 7.3 as well ?
I also rpm'ed the netdriver file for precompiled versions, but it puts in
/libs/..2.2-something
and if  I insmod it it has indefined symbols. Let me play with it more

> > Jul  9 19:56:39 Guru kernel: Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.15-pre10
(Mar 8,
> > 2002)
> > Jul  9 19:56:39 Guru kernel: PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:12.0
> > Jul  9 19:56:39 Guru kernel: PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:14.2
> > Jul  9 19:56:39 Guru kernel: tulip0:  EEPROM default media type
Autosense.
> > Jul  9 19:56:39 Guru kernel: tulip0:  Index #0 - Media AUI (#18)
described
> > by a 21142 Serial PHY (2) block.
>
> Errrm, that doesn't look right.
>
> What capabilities does this system claim to have?  Does it really have
> Home-PNA?  Does it have an add-on transceiver board for 100baseTx, and
> do you have that option?

No, It does not have Home PNA.  This compaq series has models with Home PNA
but when I purchased 3 yrs ago, I bought without one. It also does not have
add-on
transceiver board for 100baseTx.  This is the first time I am putting Linux
on this machine,
was running FreeBsd. Starting to use Linux...

Thanks,