[tulip] Problems with Redhat 7.2 networking ...

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Jan 18 14:36:03 2002

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Manish Kurup wrote:

>    I have a Compaq Presario 5690 with a DEC 21143 (tulip chip) on the
> network card. I was using RedHat 6.1 successfully with my DSL
> connection, going directly into the DSL modem and PPoE (Roaring Penguin
> stack). All was well until I bought a Linksys 4 port Cable/DSL router
> (BEFSR41 V.2).

My guess: you have a 21143 with a SYM transceiver.

> Upgrading to Redhat 7.2 doesnt seem to solve this problem as well.

It won't -- with a SYM transceiver, the RH7.2 behavior is worse.  You
need an updated driver.

Use
   http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
      ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/tulip.c

Info update: With  RH7.2 be certain that you have the full and proper
kernel sources installed.  The "kernel-headers" package no longer
contains kernel headers!  This has been the cause of many
symbol-mismatch reports on the list.