[tulip] Fixed 100BaseT problems?

Gilad Ben-Yossef gby@kagoor.com
Sun Jan 6 05:02:01 2002

Hi there,

I seem to be having a problem as follows:
The card (see *-diag output at end of message) is connected to a Catalyst3500 switch. When both ends auto negotiate I get full duplex 100 mbps as expected. When the cards are set to fixed 100 mbps full duplex however I'm starting to get loses that aren't there before.

There are two ports on this cards, and the Linux bridging code is used to bridge between them (kernel version 2.2.16 with the new bridge from 2.4.x applied as patch). However, the losses seems to occur on the card, and not in the bridging code.

The specific card in question is custom made (includes fail safe hardware), so make and model won't say much, but the very same thing happens with a D-Link 4 ports (for the card) and a Shomiti Surveyor (for the other end).

Any help or pointer to information will be highly apreciated. If this is some sort of FAQ, I apologise, but I couldn't locate the answer.

Any additional needed info will be happily supplied.

Many Thanks!
Gilad

I load the driver with:
insmod tulip.o options=0x3 full_duplex=1

tulip-diag said:
tulip-diag.c:v2.08 5/15/2001 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a Digital DS21143 Tulip adapter at 0xdc00.
 Port selection is MII, full-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, full-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit threshold is 128.
  The NWay status register is 000000c6.
  Internal autonegotiation state is 'Autonegotiation disabled'.
Index #2: Found a Digital DS21143 Tulip adapter at 0xd880.
 Port selection is MII, full-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, full-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit threshold is 128.
  The NWay status register is 000000c6.
  Internal autonegotiation state is 'Autonegotiation disabled'.
 Use '-a' or '-aa' to show device registers,
     '-e' to show EEPROM contents, -ee for parsed contents,
  or '-m' or '-mm' to show MII management registers.

mii-diag said:
Basic registers of MII PHY #0:  2100 780d 0013 78e2 01e1 0000 0004 2001.
 Basic mode control register 0x2100: Auto-negotiation disabled, with
 Speed fixed at 100 mbps, full-duplex.
 You have link beat, and everything is working OK.
 Link partner information is not exchanged when in fixed speed mode.
   End of basic transceiver information.

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef <gby@kagoor.com>
Tel: +972(9)9717330 | Fax: +972(9)9717334   | Cel: +972(54)756701