[tulip] Redhat 7.2 Kingston NIC cannot ping server until I initiate an ou tgoing ping

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed Jan 2 16:03:01 2002

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, White, Will wrote:

> I have Redhat 7.2 loaded in server mode with a Kingston NIC with an
> autodetected tulip driver. I'm currently plugged into a Cisco 1924 switch.
> The problem is that I cannot get to the server (ping, SSH, Mail, Web,
> anything) until I initiate a ping from the server to outside my
> subnet.

What is the driver detection message, including version number?
("Kingston NIC" is not specific -- there are many.)

> I have an hourly cron set up to ping out just so I can access my box
> remotely.  I've set the duplex to half in the modules.conf, but it
> didn't help (thought maybe it was an autonegotiation hiccup).

Have you tried a current driver:
   http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
      ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/tulip.c