[tulip] NIC/IRQ trouble

Jeff and Larissa Jones thejoness3@attbi.com
Fri Feb 15 11:43:01 2002

Reposted from comp.os.linux.networking (several days ago without response)

Vitals:
IBM Aptiva 2158-270
BIOS V72EN2D  v. 3.2  10/05/99
Lynksis Fast Ethernet 10/100 nic (NC100 Version 2.0)
tulip.o driver compiled into kernel out of the box
Windoze 98
Bigslack w/ 2.2.19 kernel (Bigslack is a UMSDOS version of Slackware, Full
distro it just is able to sit on a Fat 16/32 Partition)

I have been trying and trying and trying... to get this card working. This
is the error message I recieve at boot time. (Sorry about retyping in
outlook)

the PCI BIOS has not enabled the device at 0/120! Updating PCI command
0001--> 0005
tulip.c : vo.91g.ppc 7/16/99 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
eth0: ADMtek Centaur-P rev. 17 at 0x5800, EEPROM not present,
00:4C:69:65:75:79,
IRQ 0

Tried fixes:
-Disabled all plug and play in BIOS. Told BIOS OS is not plug and play
compatible.  Tried with and without bus mastering enabled and with and
without IRQ sharing.
-Changed PCI slots and removed modem (I have an external cable modem, thus
the need
for NIC card)
-Tried removing modem and using each of my 3 available slots without success

This is what's in my bios:

                        INTA    INTB    INTC    INTD
PCI Slot 1        11         4            10        5
PCI Slot 2        4           10          5          11
PCI Slot 3        10          05         11         4

IRQ sharing  = no
Plug and Play OS = no
Reset Resource Assignments = no

NIC is in PCI Slot 1 and I manually assigned the same IRQ that windows was
using for it.
I have tried it in all 3 slots without success (all other slots are empty
right now). The slot it is currently in is the only one I where I had to
assign an IRQ manually.

If anyone has been able to get this card working, or has had similar prob's
with same or different card I would really appreciate any help. Thanks in
advance!

BTW the card works fine in win98
--

Jeff Jones

"You can fool some people sometimes
But you can't fool all the people all the time
So now we see the light
We gonna stand up for our right."     Bob Marley