[tulip] Re: Conexant LANfinity

Kent Hunt kenthunt@yahoo.com
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 14:33:11 -0700 (PDT)

Okay,

    What I'm doing recently since I recompile kernels
very often is:
    1. Have your kernel source in
    /usr/src/linux or wherever your distro says to put
it and cd to that directory.
    2. rm drivers/net/tulip/* removing the contents
of the current 2.4 kernel drivers.
    3. copy to drivers/net/tulip recent versions of
kern_compat.h, pci-scan.c, pci-scan.h, and tulip.c.
Cris Lameter put a tarball with these in
http://lameter.com/kernel/tulip-0.92wax.tar.gz
    4. Replace the Makefile that you find in the
tarball with the following one:

#
# Makefile for the kernel LANfinity tulip device
driver.
#

# The target object and module list name.

obj-y   :=
obj-n   :=
obj-m   :=
obj-    :=

obj-$(CONFIG_TULIP) += tulip.o pci-scan.o

include $(TOPDIR)/Rules.make

      5. (Optional) If you do a lot of kernel
compiles, make a kernel patch. I haven't seen much
activity in the 2.4 kernel regarding the tulip driver
so this patch
helps a lot.

You have now the source file completely embeded in
your
kernel. Just select the tulip driver as module (I
haven't tried, maybe it will work compiled in as well)
and recompile the kernel. See how red hatters to that.
I use Debian. Install the new kernel and load the
tulip
module with "modprobe tulip" and then you should have
your device ready for ifconfig and route setup. If
everything goes right then the pciscan module should
be automatically loaded because modprobe will compute
the module dependencies.

Kent