[tulip] No luck on Compaq Presario 1215 EA

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 14:05:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 beevis@libero.it wrote:

> I have a negative report about my laptop, Compaq Presario 1215EA, the
> European
> version with Athlon 4 1 GHz.
> It has a Conexant ethernet board, as well as the modem.
..
> I have tried pci-scan.c v 1.06, 1.07 and 1.08;
> tulip.c v0.92w 7/9/2001
> the package from tulip-0.92wax.tar.gz.
> It compiles and enables me to insert with
> insmod pci-scan
> insmod tulip
> then network start
> I use no options, just default parameters.
..
> But stops after passing a few bytes; say two ls -l in ~ .
> Sometimes with the message
>
> kernel: Warning: kfree_skb on hard IRQ d0874b14

This is a semantic change in 2.4 kernels.
The fix is in v0.92x: call the new macro dev_free_skb_irq() in interrupt
context.

    ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/test/tulip.c

> Here is the tulip-diag output.
> tulip-diag.c:v2.08 5/15/2001 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
>  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
> Index #1: Found a Conexant LANfinity adapter at 0x1400.
> Conexant LANfinity chip registers at 0x1400:
..
>  Port selection is 10mpbs-serial, half-duplex.
>  Transmit stopped, Receive stopped, half-duplex.
>   The Rx process state is 'Stopped'.
>   The Tx process state is 'Stopped'.

It doesn't matter here, but you should send the output of 'tulip-diag'
when the chip is not working, not when the interface is stopped.