[tulip] kfree_skb warning

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Nov 30 15:37:02 2001

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Scott Silliman wrote:

> I started seeing numerous "kernel: Warning: kfree_skb on hard IRQ c8874a68"
> messages after installing the latest tulip drivers on my laptop.

This occurs when the driver is using   dev_kfree_skb()
call instead of the newly introduced   dev_kfree_skb_irq()
call inside an interrupt handler.

This was changed in  tulip.c:v0.92x 8/7/2001, as well as in most other
drivers around early August, so you aren't quite using the latest driver.

> *believe* that this isn't just a coincidence.  Is this a warning I should
> take seriously?  It *seems* to be running fine to me, but there really are
> quite a lot of those warning messages.

The volume of warning messages is the only real problem.  Updating the
driver should eliminate the messages.