[tulip] how to compile into 2.2.18 kernel?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:07:22 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Roisman, Dani wrote:

> Becker's instructions on http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html result in
> a system that enumerates the 1-port tulip card 8 times (e.g. I have eth0
> thru eth7 found as 21143's, even though I only have one ethernet card!)

This is caused by later 2.2.* kernels calling the PCI probe routine
multiple times.  Drivers that use PCI memory space can not register
their memory region for exclusive access, unlike drivers using I/O space
access.

The fix is in the v1.04 pci-scan code from
      ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/test/pci-scan.c