[tulip] D-Link DFE-570TX card works 3/4

Andreas Trottmann andreas.trottmann@werft22.com
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 00:38:16 +0200

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 05:04:41PM -0500, Donald Becker wrote:

> > When booting 2.2.18 with the tulip driver, we get
>
> Which driver version?  You omitted that info from the report.

Sorry. I implied "the tulip driver that comes with stock 2.2.18", i.e.
the rather old "tulip.c:v0.91g-ppc 7/16/99 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov"

With "0.9.14 (February 20, 2001)" that comes with 2.4.2, the card works
fine. I'm sorry I couldn't test this earlier, but I was very busy this week.

Thanks for your answer though!

> This is the key -- this interface doesn't have an EEPROM.
> A recent tulip driver will go back and correct the station address and
> media table.
>
> Note: I didn't think that the DFE-570TX had this problem.  I believed
> that only the Matrox board had the EEPROM in the "middle" interface.

I can now confirm that this is not only a quirk of this particular
DFE-570TX: We tried a different card of the same type, and got the same
results.

> > eth0: Tx hung, 11 vs. 0.
> > eth0: 21140 transmit timed out, status f0660005, SIA 000000c6 ffff0001 fffbff7f 8ff0c008, resetting...
>
> What does 'tulip-diag -af' report at this point?  I'm especially
> interested in the transceiver selection.

Can this info still help you at this point (knowing that the card works
fine with a current driver)? If yes, I'll gladly go back to the old
version and provide you with all the needed details.

--
Andreas Trottmann <andreas.trottmann@werft22.com>