[tulip] interupt mitigation on a DFE-570TX - where's the secret sauce?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 15:21:16 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Roisman, Dani wrote:

> I'm using version 0.92t of the tulip driver, and it isn't performing as if
> it's doing interrupt mitigation.  I'm comparing the pps that I'm sending it
> to the interrupt/sec info that I get from vmstat or looking at
> /proc/interrupts.
>
> Browsing through tulip.c, this line leads me to believe that I should see a
> message sent to syslog (I'm logging *.*) about interrupt mitigation when I
> load the driver:
> printk(KERN_NOTICE "%s: Set interrupt mitigate paramters %8.8x.\n",

There are two conditions when the interrupt mitigation register is set:
  When the chip attempts to do too much work during a single interrupt.
    You will see the infamous "Too much work at interrupt" message.
  When set by an ioctl() call
    You will see the message above.

> Is there something I'm missing???

It's a hack, but the ioctl() call has been put into the mii-diag
program from
  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html

You can set interrupt mitigation by running
   mii-diag eth0 -G 0x8b240000