[tulip] 3.3V (or universal) tulip PCI cards?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 19:13:03 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, John Connett wrote:

> I have an application where I need to install a card in a PCI slot keyed
> for 3.3V.  The Kingston cards with which I am familiar are all 5V.

Even the 21143 card?

>  It appears from the data sheets on the Macronix web site that 3.3V chips
> may be available.

Hmmm, the MXIC cards that I have, 98713 and 715, are both keyed for 5V
only.

Flipping through the cards recently tested and not yet returned to the
card rack here are a tulip cards I encountered keyed for both 3.3V and 5.0V.
The Linksys NC100 and LNE100 v4.1
The Znyx 21143 card

Keep in mind that a chip may support 3.3V operation, but be paired with
a 5V only transceiver.  Wake-On-LAN support provides only 5V, so a 3.3V
transceiver might be an issue.

BTW, there is no market for a 3.3V-only 32 bit card.