[tulip] IS LINKSYS 10/100 CARD DETECTED?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:22:30 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Joek wrote:

> I am setting up a new Linux system using Mandrake 7.2 and I have a
> Linksys Etherfast 10/100 PCI LAN Card. Before I get into configuring
> it I want to verify that the card is being detected.

It is.

> Below, I have the output of "dmesg" and the "cat /proc/pci" after
> booting Linux Mandrake. In /proc/pci it seems to indicate an unknown
> vender.

Confusingly, the text in /proc/pci has nothing to do with what hardware
the kernel supports.  There are text names for many otherwise
unsupported cards, some of the names are incorrect, and not all
supported cards are listed.

The text table should never have been put into the kernel in the first place.
A better method is the program 'lspci', which keeps the PCI ID to name
mapping in an easily updated text file.

> I am not sure if the card is detected. At this point, I added
> a line "tulip" in the /etc/modules file. That is the only change I
> made to the system regarding tulip. I highlighted the references to
> the Ethernet card below..

> ##  tulip.c:v0.92l 8/19/2000  Written by Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>
> ##   http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
> ##  eth0: ADMtek Comet rev 17 at 0xd0820000, 00:20:78:1D:A8:1B, IRQ 10.
> ##  eth0:  MII transceiver #1 config 3000 status 7869 advertising 01e1.

The only problem I see is that the transceiver is reporting no link
beat. See  'Understanding MII Transceiver Status Info'
    http://www.scyld.com/diag/mii-status.html

Good luck.