[tulip] Most ethernets record?

Ben Greear greearb@candelatech.com
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:50:19 -0700

Donald Becker wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, A James Lewis wrote:
> > Cc: tulip@scyld.com, linux-net@vger.kernel.org
> > Subject: Re: [tulip] Most ethernets record?
> >

> > Did this work properly since I tried Znyx 4 port tulip cards and they sort
> > of work but there's loads of collisions and poor performance.  It works
> > with SUN QFE cards though so I guess theres a problem in the tulip driver.
>
> Please don't make a general claim that "there's a problem with the tulip
> driver".
>
> The Tulip driver from ftp.Scyld.com works fine with all Znyx cards we
> have available for testing, and has for several years.

Actually, I was never even able to get my ZYNX 4-port (346Q)
card to work correctly in full-duplex mode, even under the older
2.2 kernels.

As recent as the 2.2.19 kernel, the D-LINK 4-port cards did not do
auto-negotiation, or even fixed 100bt-FD correctly (I had to force
them to 100bt-HD, which thankfully worked, at least.)

If by working fine, you mean passing traffic enough to ping, or do
low-bandwidth stuff, then they work.  But they do not work at high
speeds, and the have speed-negotiation problems..

I have a new D-LINK on the way, and still have two ZYNX boards, so
I am willing to try again with the 2.2 drivers if you think they are
fixed now.  Please recommend a version + kernel-version.

Unfortunately, regardless of the 2.2 functionality, I will have to
stay with 2.4 kernel, because it has so many other benefits that
I need, but if the driver works in one kernel, maybe we can
figure out why it fails in 2.4.

Thanks,
Ben

--