[tulip] Adaptec ANA 6944A/TX 4-port locks up system on kernel 2.4.7

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 16:06:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Ben Greear wrote:

> When I 'insmod tulip' with this card in the machine, the
> machine locks up hard.  I'll give this card to the driver
> writers if it will help, but it's so old that maybe it isn't
> worth worrying about too much :)

My guess is that the problem is with PCI bridge interrupt mapping on
your machine, combined with the 2.4 removal of IRQ-copying hack in the
Tulip driver to support 4 port cards with usually broken x86 BIOSes.

The 2.4 kernel tries to do the IRQ numering fix-ups in the PCI support
code.  Obviously it's not working...