[tulip] KNE111TX arp problems

Tom Huckstep tom@redant.freeserve.co.uk
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 14:15:21 +0100 (BST)

I have two computers linked with a crossover cable between two
KNE111TX NICs.  henry is my main workstation, and maxwell is a old
system that I don't always have turned on.

After system boot everything is OK, and the network connection is
fine.  Often though, if I do an ifup eth0; ifdown eth0 on either
system the connection is broken, because one system or other cannot
find the hardware address of the other card. e.g.:

henry:/home/tom# ping maxwell
PING maxwell (192.168.0.2): 56 data bytes