[tulip] Problems compiling the tulip driver

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 23:13:46 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Karl Sackett wrote:

> ...the same compilation problems that others have been having.  My
> target is a Debian 2.2r2 system with the 2.2.18pre21 kernel source.
> Here's what happens when I try compiling tulip.c (this is after
> unpacking
> the netdrivers tarball):
>
> miranda$ make tulip
> gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6
> -I/usr/src/linux/include -pipe -fno-strength-reduce -DMODVERSIONS   -c
> -o tulip.o tulip.c
> tulip.c:139: linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory

This just can't happen.  You are have a hallucination.  Perhaps it's a mass
hallucination, but whatever is going on, it's all just in your imagination.

Here is why:  The Makefile says:

LINUX=/usr/src/linux
CFLAGS=-DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -I$(LINUX)/include

# If the modversion.h file exists we should pass a flag.
# Most of my drivers have been updated to not need this, but not the other
# kernel source files.
MODVER_H = $(LINUX)/include/linux/modversions.h
ifneq ($(wildcard $(MODVER_H)),"")
  CFLAGS += -DMODVERSIONS
endif

So this verifies that /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h exists
before adding in the -DMODVERSIONS flag.
Your compile line has -DMODVERSIONS
Thus you have  /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h

And that is the reason you will _never_ see
> tulip.c:139: linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory

Got it?  Now take two of the pink pills, and those voice in your head will
go away...