[tulip] starfire driver compilation problems

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 23:08:28 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Ed Padin wrote:

> The patch worked and I was able to compile the driver. Now the pci-scan.o
> module loads okay but I when I try to load the starfire driver I get the
> following:
>
> cpu_to_be16: wrong version or undefined

As Homer would say, Doh!

Please try the updated kern_compat.h from
  ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/kern_compat.h

That is the only driver using cpu_to_be*() functions.  I removed them from
natsemi.c.

Most PCI hardware is little-endian, but you occasionally get some big-endian
infiltrater that puts a B-E element in an otherwise L-E design.

> > This is a generic problem for all of the drivers.
> > The bug is in kern_compat.h, where I added new backward-compatiblity code.

Please send a report.