[tulip] tulip - LinksSys NC100 poor performance

jeff bhd2vek@rushmore.com
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:02:28 -0700

I have successfully installed the driver SRPM netdrivers-2.1.6 on a SUSE 6.4
system.  After I bring up the interface and ping another host on the
network, the time is ~8ms.  ( the network is all 100baseTx ).  When I ping
from the other host back I get more reasonable times ~0.5ms, when I do this
the time decreases from ~8.0ms  to (sometimes as low as) the  ~0.5ms I would
expect.  So it seems that if the connection is initiated from hostA the rate
is slow until I initiate a connection back to hostA from hostB.... The
'tulip-diag' utility will not identify the card without providing the -p
option, and reports the card to be set for Half Duplex.  However, 'mii-diag'
will report 100baseTx-FD operation.  The driver seems to be maintaining
network connectivity.  I realize this is a low end nic, and I suppose I
should urge the owner of the machine to get a better pair of cards ( this
box is destined for a home lan with a broadband connection ).

Any hints/help are suely welcome

I use the RealTeck driver for one of the cards in my own system ( a LNE100TX
card ) with excellent results.  Thanks!

Jeff
bhd2vek@rushmore.com