[tulip] problems with DEC DS21143

Luke Shulenburger sluke@mit.edu
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 15:29:21 -0500

Hello,
I recently purchased a managed 100mbit full duplex switch.  I've put
several of my computers on it and have had no problems getting transfer
speeds in excess of 4MB/sec.  Whenever I plugged my alpha (LX
motherboard) into the switch I ran into problems.  I got download speeds
that were in the neighborhood of 1MB/sec (nothing that I hadn't gotten
before on a 10mbit switch) and my upload speeds were horrible, averaging
only 50kbit/s to other computers connected to the same switch.  I tried
looking at the configuration of the switch and noticed that I don't even
get a connection unless the port is set to auto-detect.  I'm running the
2.4.0 kernel on the computer and here's the output of mii-diag:

Using the default interface 'eth0'.
Basic registers of MII PHY #32:  1000 786c 0000 0000 0621 41e1 0000
0000.
 Basic mode control register 0x1000: Auto-negotiation enabled.
 You have link beat, and everything is working OK.
 Your link partner advertised 41e1: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx 10baseT-FD
10baseT.

and the output from tulip-diag -aa

tulip-diag.c:v2.06 1/8/2001 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a Digital DS21143 Tulip adapter at 0x8800.
 * A potential Tulip chip has been found, but it appears to be active.
 * Either shutdown the network, or use the '-f' flag to see all values.
Digital DS21143 Tulip chip registers at 0x8800:
 0x00: ffa0e000 ffffffff ffffffff 4fb36000 4fb36200 f0660000 b3862202
fbfffbff
 Port selection is 100mbps-SYM/PCS 100baseTx scrambler, full-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, full-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit threshold is 128.
  The NWay status register is 41e1d3cc.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this problem?

Luke Shulenburger
(sluke@mit.edu)