[tulip] stall on tulip card

Hank Barta hbarta@enteract.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 07:58:55 -0600 (CST)

    Just a followup to this thread:

    I had been experiencing regular (daily) lockups on the ethernet
    port my Linux when running X clients on a WinY2K box. They
    started after I began running SETI@home on both boxes.

    I downloaded and have been using this driver shortly after its
    release and have not experienced a lockup since then. So it
    appears to have solved a problem for me.

    Let me know if you want further information om my setup.

    Thanks!
    hank

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Donald Becker wrote:

> Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 17:09:47 -0500 (EST)
> From: Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>
> To: Dan Hollis <goemon@anime.net>
> Cc: Hank Barta <hbarta@enteract.com>, tulip@scyld.com
> Subject: Re: [tulip] stall on tulip card
>
> On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Donald Becker wrote:
> > > The only difference is with the transmit threshold, which was increased in
> > > the error case.  There was a report that manipulating Tx threshold was
> > > causing a problem with the Centaur, but I was unable to reproduce the
> > > problem.  If this really is the problem, we will have to figure out if the
> > > hang is caused by the initial underrun, or the attempt to increase the Tx
> > > threshold value.
> >
> > Donald, I have about 10 data points now from people who have used the
> > CSR18 bit 1 patch. For most of them (9 out of 10) it fixed the problem
> > and for the last it didnt change anything, eg it didnt make things worse.
>
> Does this mask the TxUnderrun event?
> If so, the Tx threshold will never be increased, and the Tx underruns will
> continue.
>
> > I know you cant reproduce the problem but lots of us have the problem and
> > CSR18 bit 1 really does fix it. Please consider adding it to the driver.
>
> It's in, but I'm fully comfortable with it.
> Please send reports...
> I added this code in the TxFIFOUnderrun handler:
> 	if (tulip_debug > 1)
> 		printk(KERN_WARNING "%s: Tx threshold increased, "
> 			   "new CSR6 %x.\n", dev->name, tp->csr6);
>
> Look for 0.92q in the test directory today.  If it passes the tests it will
> become either 0.93 or 1.00 at the end of the week.
>
> Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
> Scyld Computing Corporation		http://www.scyld.com
> 410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Second Generation Beowulf Clusters
> Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993

Hank Barta                            White Oak Software Inc.
hbarta@enteract.com                   Predictable Systems by Design.(tm)
		Beautiful Sunny Winfield, Illinois