[tulip] Re: LinksSys LNETX 10/100 wont work

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 12:08:49 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, jpshark wrote:

> I was wondering if you could help me get my LinkSys 10/100TX NIC working
> under RH 7.0. I know I should be using the tulip driver but I can't get it to
> recognize the NIC at boot-up. My attempt to configure it using netconfig

You need the updated Tulip driver -- Red Hat shipped an older driver
that doesn't support the new chips.

(BTW, you should contact Red Hat about this type of support issue.  Their
hundreds of people won't be able to help you, but they should see the
demand.  We are seeing a pretty heavy support burden from the decision
to ship an old driver.)

Users with RPM-based system may install this as
rpm -i ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/netdriver-2.1.src.rpm
cd /usr/src/redhat/
rpm -bb SPECS/netdriver.spec
rpm -i --force RPMS/i386/netdriver*.i386.rpm

As a special case, a precompiled RPM for Red Hat 7.0 running the x86
uniprocessor kernel may be installed by running
  rpm -i ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/netdrivers-rh70.i386.rpm