[tulip] Tulip driver fails to autonegotiate correctly

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon Dec 17 14:00:01 2001

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Matthew J. Secaur wrote:

> 	I am running box at home with SuSE Linux 7.3.  The network is a
> 10BaseT-HD with a cheap hub.  When loading the tulip module with no
> options, I fail to get a link light.  tulip-diag shows that the card
> is set to 100BaseT, which is obviously not right.  The only way (of
> which I am aware) to force the tulip driver to use 10BaseT is by using
> options=4, which forces it to 10BaseT-FD.  So I get connectivity, but
> since the duplex is wrong, I only get about 8KB per second with a lot
> of collisions.

What driver version are you using?
What is the chip?
What is the detection message?

> 	Is there a way to force 10BaseT-HD in the driver?

Yes.  See
   http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html

If not, how

> I purchased a cheap PCI network card this weekend and it seems to work
> just fine with autonegotiation on the same hub (but a different driver
> for the card).

The Tulip driver should properly use autonegotiation on all but 21140
cards using SYM transceivers.