[tulip] Ovislin Fast Ethernet PCMCIA card

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 18:53:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Francisco Alcaraz Ariza wrote:

> I have a laptop with two OS, windows98 and linux (distribution
> Mandrake 8.0).

Ohhh, another Mandrake "+1" version is out.

> Pcmcia slot are activated, but when the card is introduced a low sound
> indicates that it is not well recognized.
>
> Pcmcia model: Ovislink PCM-TX 32
>
> results of the "cardctl ident" command:
> socket 1:
> product info: CardBus PC Card
> /d Base-TX Cardbus Ethernet
> manfid: 0x0000, 0x021v

You copied that info incorrectly.
It's 0x0000 0x021b  (which, BTW, is an invalid CardBus ID).

You have a generic rtl8139 CardBus card.

> function: 6 (network)
> PCI id: 0x10ec, 0x8138

Confirmation that you have a RealTek rtl8139 configured for CardBus.

> Harddrake (a hard detecter of mandrake, detects a Realtek Semiconductor,
> RT8139 (B/C) Cardbus Fast Ethernet Adapter and module rtl8139, but trying to
> modprobe the message is: Can't locate module eth0"

This ID is in the detection list at
  http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html
and the updated driver package will work with your card using kernel
version 2.2.* and earlier.

________________
# The CardBus version of the RealTek rtl8139b.
device "realtek" class "network"
    module "cb_enabler", "pci-scan", "cb_shim", "rtl8139"
# Bogus vendor ID from Best Data.
card "Best Data RTL8139B"              manfid 0x0000, 0x021b  bind "realtek"

> In some pcmcia urls it seems that this card could be used by the module
> tulip-cb, but any insmod or modprobe tulip_cb doesn't run.

This is incorrect.
I suspect that you read the web pages with an overly hopeful bias.
If there is bogus info, please send a correction to the person that
wrote the broken page.