[tulip] tulip & kernel 2.4 (structure has no member named `tbusy')

Erik Steffl steffl@bigfoot.com
Mon, 09 Apr 2001 14:23:27 -0700

Donald Becker wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Erik Steffl wrote:
>
> > Bogdan Costescu wrote:

> > > The drivers from scyld.com do not work with kernel 2.4 and I have no ideea
> > > if/when they will. They work for sure with 2.2 and supposedly with older
> > > ones.
> >
> >   anybody knows more detials about future of scyld drivers? Are they
> > going to be 'ported' to 2.4?
> >
> >   are the issues minor (the struct members were renamed, structs were
> > reorganized a bit or something like that) or did the network interface
> > changed A LOT in kernel 2.4 (compared to 2.2)?
>
> The network interface API changed dramatically on the way to 2.4.  That
> caused major problems;
>    It takes weeks to test my drivers, and yet I had no control over when
>    or how the network driver interface changed through the 2.3 develment
>    series.
>
>    More than just no concern for backwards compatibility, there was a
>    deliberate effort to break backwards compatibility in order to force
>    development to take place only on 2.3/2.4.
> So we are in the curious situation of having network drivers that are
> compatible with kernels 1.1.73 through 2.2.*, about six years and three
> major kernel series, but no clean way to make them compatible with 2.4.

  thanks for explanation. it's indeed a weird situation...

> You only option is to use the modified drivers that are included with
> the 2.4, and update your kernel until you find a driver set that works
> together.

  that might never happen (at least not soon)... [kernel driver &
accton]

  are you saying that it is not likely that scyld network drivers will
be released for 2.4 kernel? ever? in forseeable future?

  should I go back to 2.2 series of kernel?

	erik