[tulip] anyone get danpex afp1100 to do fdx?

Leo Wierzbowski leow@ufl.edu
Sat, 07 Apr 2001 14:31:17 -0400

Donald Becker wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Leo Wierzbowski wrote:
>
> > After many reboots I've discovered that the newer model will sometimes
> > go into FDX with options 0x20b.  When it does so, tulip identifies the
> > NIC similarly as the old model (Media MII described by a 21142).  When
> > it doesn't, the message below appears, and this is the normal case for
> > 0x20b (and is always the case when I specify the MII media type or try
> > any other combo of anything):
>
> Please clarify this.
> Do you mean that the detection message changes between reboots?

Yes.

> If so, that indicates that the EEPROM read is somehow unreliable.
> The v0.92t driver has a change from the earlier driver versions to add
> extra turn-around time when reading the EEPROM.  This was for a specific
> card model with slow EEPROMs, and only occurred with 600Mhz+ machines.

This is a 550MHz PIII.

> Please try v0.92t to see if the problem is corrected.

Initial tests indicate that v0.92t corrects the problem.  I will be
doing some lab tests next week, but remote tests today look very good indeed:

Apr  7 13:51:47 gatorouter kernel: eth0: Using user-specified media MII
100baseFx-FDX.

Apr  7 13:51:47 gatorouter kernel: eth1: Using user-specified media MII
100baseFx-FDX.

This will remove a huge dark cloud overhead.  May God bless you and
yours, Donald Becker!

--

Sincerely,
Leo Wierzbowski

"The University of Florida does not endorse or disendorse the
 content of this document.  It is the author's private opinion."

"Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness."
 (Luke 11:35)