[tulip] Netgear FA310TX problem

Tony Houghton tony@realh.co.uk
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 15:30:48 +0100

I've got a pair of these cards connected by crossover cable, and I seem
to be having a big problem with one of them under Linux. It's running
very slowly (eg >20 minutes to transfer a 96MB MPEG to and from the
other PC running Windows) and using loads of CPU power. I'm pretty sure
it's a Linux problem, because if I run Windows on both machines the time
for the above transfer drops to about 35 seconds.

The same thing happens whether I use kernel 2.2.18 with tulip, old_tulip
or Netgear's modified tulip driver, the first two under 2.2.19 (the
latter will no longer compile), and with 2.4.3's tulip driver. I don't
know when this problem started, because I hadn't been making heavy use
of the network for a while, but it used to be all right.

Any ideas about what's wrong or how I can go about tracking it down?
There's nothing in the usual kernel logs.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk