[tulip] Multiple MAC address with one Tulip card

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 17:37:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, root wrote:

> we have found several documents on the net regarding the possibility of
> using a single Tulip-compatible card under Linux with more MAC addresses
> at the same time.
>
> Unfortunately such feature is not further documented.
>
> Has anybody any ideas of how to activate such feature? Is it really
> possibile with a plain distribution-module or do we need a special
> patch?

If you have fewer than 14 addresses to accept, *including multicast
groups*, you can just add the additional station addresses to
dev->mc_list.

Note that this only works with some Tulip-like chips that have 16
element "perfect filters".  The ones with the MC_HASH_ONLY flag set have
only a multicast hash filter, not a "CAM" filter.