[tulip] Interrupt resources are pending! <- ?

Max Pakhutkin mpakhutkin@telocity.com
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 23:38:31 -0700

Hi

Card: Linksys LNE100TX
Dist: Debian 2.2.17
Problem: modprobe reports 'Device busy' while tulip-diag reports 'Interrupt
resources are pending!'

After two full days of intensively studying this site's resources I've
finally managed to put my card into interrupt 7 (instead of 15, which it
used to hang out in, but tulip-diag was reporting Unknown Error: 7 which
sounded harsher than what it's reporting now, so I figure this is an
improvement). That involved disabling my mouse, thus freeing up IRQ 14,
which must have
caused my BIOS to shuffle stuff around. I also have both serial and parallel
ports disabled and am hesitant to reenable them for fear of consequences (I
hope I won't ever need them, I can also deal without the mouse quite
wonderfully, but you know...)

Below are different outputs of relevant information. My question is:
now that tulip-diag reports  "Interrupt sources are pending!  CSR5 is
fc00c810.", what do I do to make modprobe not complain about Device Busy?
Once that is fixed I think I know how to proceed.

Also, but less importantly:
Should I set Enable Master and Option ROM scan settings in my BIOS for the
card or not?

Thank you in advance.
Max.

BIOS version:
PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0.6

cat /proc/interrupts output:
           CPU0
  0:     198741          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       7451          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
 13:          0          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:     315837          XT-PIC  ide0
NMI:          0

tulip-diag output:

tulip-diag.c:v2.03 7/31/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a ADMtek AL985 Centaur-P adapter at 0xf800.
 Port selection is 100mbps-SYM/PCS 100baseTx scrambler, half-duplex.
 Transmit stopped, Receive stopped, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Stopped'.
  The Tx process state is 'Stopped'.
  The transmit threshold is 128.
 Interrupt sources are pending!  CSR5 is fc00c810.
   Link passed indication.
   Timer expired indication.
   Early Rx indication.
 The Comet MAC registers are 0d782000 ffff3440 filter 0000000000000000.
EEPROM size is 8.
  Ethernet MAC Station Address 00:20:78:0d:40:34.
  Default connection type 'Autosense'.
  PCI IDs Vendor 1317 Device 0985  Subsystem 1317 0574
  PCI min_grant 255 max_latency 255.
  CSR18 power-up setting 0x804c****.

# cat /proc/pci output for the card

  Bus  0, device  11, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 17).
      Vendor id=1317. Device id=985.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 7.  Master Capable.
Latency=64.  Min Gnt=255.Max Lat=255.
      I/O at 0xf800 [0xf801].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfedeec00 [0xfedeec00].