[tulip] Slow masq connection with Linksys NC100--SOLVED!

John S. Haggerty haggerty@bnl.gov
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 20:59:48 -0400

--------------939CBF7CB091FF893A6E3A6A

Last week, I posted this to the tulip and masq listservers:

> The speed of my connection through masq'ed Windows machines is about
> half the download speed that it should
> be.  My situation is

> - Micron Pentium 133 running Red Hat 6.2 (2.2.14-5.0)
> - 2 Linksys NC100 V2 10/100 Network Anywhere cards (tulip driver
> compiled from Donald Becker's site last
> month)
> - CopperRocket 201 SDSL -> eth1
> - 10/100 hub -> eth0, 1 W95, 2 W98 machines

I have solved the problem.  After many other configuration changes to the Linux firewall,

I decided that the problem was outside the Linux box. The sites

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

and

http://www.helmig.com/j_helmig/speeddif.htm

were particularly helpful.  What fixed the connection speed was setting, in the registry of the

client PC's, the value

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP

DefaultRcvWindow

to 65535.

It may be that the MTU settings could be optimized as well, but that's more complicated due

to the number of TCP/IP bindings that one must sort through, and now I am seeing

around 370-380 kbit/sec from all the PC's on the internal LAN. The values in the

registry seem to be left over from Dial-Up Networking, or perhaps my previous

foray into Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) or setting up the LAN.

--
John Haggerty
internet: haggerty@bnl.gov