[tulip] LinkSys 10/100 EtherFast PC Card PCMPC100 Version 2.0 Fails

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 00:43:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Kenneth J. Hendrickson wrote:

> Cc: root@LinkSys.com, postmaster@LinkSys.com, hostmaster@LinkSys.com,
     webmaster@LinkSys.com, support@LinkSys.com, sales@LinkSys.com,
     slin@LinkSys.com, mailroom@LinkSys.com, ksohl@LinkSys.com

Perhaps you shouldn't send this to everyone in the world...

> Subject: [tulip] LinkSys 10/100 EtherFast PC Card PCMPC100 Version 2.0 Fails

This isn't a tulip card.  This is a NE2000 clone.
Sending a report to the linux-tulip list isn't appropriate.

> LinkSys 10/100 EtherFast PC Card PCMPC100 Version 2.0 Fails
> It only works at 10 Mbps.  Please help if you can.

I don't have a PCMPC100 card, but I can guess the problem.

This is a PCMCIA card, not a CardBus card.
PCMCIA is a 16 bit ISA-like bus that is slow.  Very slow.  It's usually
connected to an ISA bus, and is constrained to be slower than the bus it is
connected to.
CardBus is a 32 bit PCI-like bus.  Since the socket controller can be
implemented as a buffered bus bridge, it is usually as fast as a regular PCI
bus.

Get a "200" series card, which is a CardBus 21143 or ADMtek Centaur chip.

410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Beowulf-II Cluster Distribution
Annapolis MD 21403