[tulip] Appearent missing kernel modules

Jordan Bettis jordanb@m-net.arbornet.org
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 00:15:13 -0400 (EDT)

I have two boxes with ADMtek AL985 Centaur-P cards in them. One is Red Hat
6.1, the other is Debian 2.2. I had a very difficult time trying to get
tulip (apparently the 2.2.17 tulip does not support pnic yet) working
with my 2.2.17 kernel, I recompiled multiple times, but I was never able
to get it to load. So I eventually switched back to Red Hat's 2.2.12
vanilla kernel. It worked fine. I'm almost positive it's a problem with
something just not being in the kernel that is necessary for it to load.

Unfortunately, I can't do that on the Debian box, so I have to recompile
the kernel, but I'm not sure what I am missing. pci-scan loads fine, but
#insmod tulip outputs:

tulip.o: unresolved symbol: __global_chi
tulip.o: unresolved symbol: __global_saved_flags
tulip.o: unresolved symbol: __global_restore_flags

then dies.

I'm sorry if this is covered somewhere already, but I've checked all the
documentation I can find and have done searches of the archives of this
list, but I haven't found anything.

Thank you for your time,

Jordan Bettis.
"Probably the best operating system in the world is the [operating system]
 made for the PDP-11 by Bell Laboratories." - Ted Nelson, October 1977