[tulip] Assistance please with tulip.o/Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 (NC100 V2)

Thomas May tommay1@hotmail.com
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 17:23:50 GMT

First of all, since I know that Mr. Donald Becker will most likely be
reading this, I want to say THANKS for all of your hard work and assistance.
  I would also like to compliment you on the vortex driver... it rules.
People like you that contribute like you do to open source deserve a world
of praise, and not just a bunch of "help me pleases".

Having said all of that, "help me please"!!! :)

I have tried for a couple of weeks now to get 2 linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100
(NC100 V2)'s working with no success.  I have gone to Linksys's website, and
they say that tulip.o is the correct driver.  I have downloaded and compiled
the most recently recommended tulip.c and manually compiled it, as well as
doing the same with pci-scan.c (and kern_compat.h...per Mr. Becker's
instructions.) and installed the resulting ".o's" in the correct driver
path.  I have ever gone so far as to download the driver update source rpm
(dependencies...I can't use it currently because the only/bin/sh I have is
symbollically linked to /bin/bash)  But that shouldn't matter...I have
manually compiled all of the sources.  The latest errors I am getting after
the "insmod" is:

unresolved symbol pci_drv_unregister
unresolved symbol pci_drv_register

Before, I would just get "device or resource busy.

I admit...I probably should get a book on developing drivers for Linux, as
there are probably "basics" that I am missing.  But for now I just want to
get these darn things installed. :)

Any help by ANYONE would be greatly appreciated.  I have researched all of
the links related to this driver as suggested in the archive.  Any
additional reading material suggestions would be appreciated as well...I
have no problem putting my nose into books, (or the net) so long as I know
the answer is there.

Thanks,
Tom May