[tulip] question and thanks

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 06:57:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Gregory S Schmidt wrote:

> I successfully got the tulip.c code to compile in 2 of the 3 ways suggested.
> I switched the paths /usr/include/linux to /usr/src/linux/include/linux
> New problem:
> I moved the compiled tulip.o and pci-scan.o files to the a
> ppropriate place, did a depmod -a, modprobe tulip, etc...
> I tried linuxconf or netconfig and also rebooted in there,
> and I still can't get the network card to work.

I see from your later message that it started working.  Rebooting is rarely
the best approach, but in this case rebooting is simpler than describing
the sequence of linuxconf actions needed.

> When I did a "lspci" from linux, it recognized an
> ethernet card in one of the slots and spit
> back something like:
>
> 00:12.0 Ethernet Controller: Bridgecom, Inc: Unknown device 0985 (rev 11)
> (not sure what Bridgecom is, but perhaps that is an equivalent card)

This is a buglet in the PCI table that 'lspci' uses.  I'm guessing that some
clueless person reported the name on the box of some device that used an
ADMtek chip.  Reversing this seems to be impossible.

> I also read on the scyld web-site about something about reverse
> order searching for the cards, and am curious if that is applicable

The reverse searching is usually only an issue with 4 port cards that save a
few pennies by having the EEPROM on only one interface.

> i.e. after 00:12.0, there was something 00:13.0, 00:13.1, etc...
> When I boot the machine, the bios page says my card is in the 1st
> master pci slot.  Maybe 00:12.0 is the first, I dunno...I am clueless.

PCI device can have up to eight addressed subdevices ("functions") on the
same chip.  Typically you see this with motherboard chips and CardBus combo
cards (Ethernet and Modem).
    IDE function on 00:09.1
    USB function on 00:09.2
If the devices are not on the same chip you must use a bus bridge
    Bus bridge on 00:07.0  (bridging to PCI bus 01)
      Ethernet-1  01:01.0
      Ethernet-2  01:02.0

I hope that made sense.